[Sidefx-houdini-list] annotate in mplay

jiversen jiversen at rhythm.com
Wed Dec 16 00:27:50 EST 2009

I tried this out once -- I tried to launch gimp on a jpg'ed version of
the frame from the MPlayMenus.  Unfortunately MPlay /still/ doesn't have
any hscript command to force it to *save* an image, which seems like an
elementary and staple feature to have, so I have to do some ugly hackery
to source the original image.

In the file* $HIH/MainMenuMPlay, *I had:
        <scriptItem id="h.annotateFrame">
          <label>Annotate This Frame (in Gimp)</label>
          <scriptPath>scripts/python/mplayAnnotate.py</scriptPath>
        </scriptItem>

Which tried to do a:
 hou.hscript("$DDHFS/scripts/mplayAnnotate.cmd")

Which did a:
set current_image = `arg(execute("seqls -f"),0)`
if( $current_image == "Rendered" )
  message "This must a File on disk. You cannot do this with a direct
render."
  exit
endif

# get frame number from fcur coz $F doesnt work
set frame = `arg(run("fcur"),1)`

# hack in a frame number - sigh
set current_image = `strreplace($current_image,"%04d",padzero(4,$frame))`

if $current_image != ""
  # make jpg version
  set new_image = "${current_image}.annotated.jpg"
  set cmd="icp $current_image $new_image"
  if `systemES($cmd)` == 0
    #launch gimp on it
    unix "gimp $new_image &"
  else
    message "mplayAnnotate.cmd:  couldn't save a jpg version to
$new_image, there you can't annotate it."
  endif
endif