[Sidefx-houdini-list] bgeo.lzma problem under windows

Edward Lam edward at sidefx.com
Fri Dec 11 10:15:25 EST 2009

Ozgur Yılmaz wrote:
> I've tried to compress a sequence of bgeo files with linux, the linux
> version of houdini was able to load the sequence without any problem but the
> windows version is complaining about the files being unreadable... It
> happens to bz2 and tar files too... is there any binary compatibility
> problems ( it shouldn't as I think )...

If you look in $HFS/houdini/GEOio, you'll note that these other formats
require bzip2 and lzma utilities which are commonly found in Linux
distributions. They are not provided on Windows. In order to use these
other formats, you probably have to obtain the Windows version of these
utilities and put them in the PATH so that Houdini can find it. Cygwin
is one source of such utilities.

If you're looking for cross platform interoperability, then I suggest
you use .bgeo.gz for compression since gzip is the only compression
utility that is shipped with Houdini on Windows.

Regards,
-Edward