[Sidefx-houdini-list] Intel's Larrabee Delayed Indefinitely

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Dec 7 18:11:47 EST 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009 05:41:46 pm Andrew D Lyons wrote:
> GPGPU wins for now :
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-larrabee-graphics-delayed-dead,9215.
> html

	Yeah, was disappointed to read that.  More paranoid minds than I have
wondered if there's a connection between this and Nvidia's recent announcement
to back off making chipsets.  As in: you stay out of our backyard, we'll stay
out of yours...

	I'm really hoping/expecting this whole GPU bugaboo will die off sooner rather
than later.  Thread more apps, thread them better, throw more cores at them.
Don't do what autodesk does to our poor, overfed compositors and talk them
into buying inferno render nodes with nvidia cards and then announce 6 months
later they need to upgrade the cards because the new release won't run on
them.  It's a thief's market.

	And inferno hardly even threads...not surprising I guess, considering they've
been tied to GPUs since their start.

	Cheers,

	J.C.
---