[Sidefx-houdini-list] Gravity in Pop

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Mon Aug 24 12:37:49 EDT 2009

Gravity is a force between two masses, as defined by:

Fg = (G * M1 * M2) / (d^2)

where G is a constant, M1 and M2 are the masses of the objects, and d is
the distance between them.

For objects near the surface of the earth, M1 is the mass of the earth
(a constant, Me) and d can be assumed to be constant, as the distance
between an object and the center of the earth remains roughly constant
(since our atmosphere is a tiny fraction of the overall radius of the
earth). So, you can put all the constants together and get:

Fg = (G*Me/d^2) * Mo

The acceleration (a) on that mass (Mo) is then defined by F=Ma, so:

a = F/Mo

If you then substitute the gravitational force into that equation, you get:

a = Fg/Mo
   = (G*Me/d^2) * Mo / Mo
   = (G*Me/d^2)

...and the Mo terms cancel each other out. Turns out that G*Me/d^2 just
happens to work out to 9.8m/s^2.

So, in almost all earthly cases, you can think of gravity as an
acceleration. It's only when you blast off into space that it should be
considered a force.

Cheers,
M.