[Sidefx-houdini-list] Gravity in Pop

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Sat Aug 22 19:34:10 EDT 2009

I wouldn't describe gravity as an acceleration. Gravity is a force like
any other, except that it's magnitude is proportional to the mass of the
object it's acting on.

F = G M m / r^2

Assuming M is constant (the Earth's mass), then since F=ma, the mass m
cancels from both sides giving the property of constant acceleration
independent of mass.

So, the short answer is yes, you're right, the shelf is wrong.

I tend to use "Override Mass" and set it to 1 though, as it's a bit
ambiguous what it does by ignoring mass. I'm guess it's doing that when
you ignore mass, but I like to be sure.