[Sidefx-houdini-list] Practical RAT size limits

Mark Elendt mark at sidefx.com
Thu Aug 20 09:34:43 EDT 2009

On Thursday Aug 20 at 12:42, Frederic Servant wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to assemble  huge RAT maps (80000 x 40000) but it seems I hit a
> wall if any dimension exceeds ~32000 pixels (2^15?).
>
> Does anyone have more insight of the limitations of the RAT file format and
> / or COP processing generally in houdini, dimension-wise?

I was able to generate a 40000x40000 .rat file which seems to work (on
my 32-bit machine).  In a terminal:

    % icomposite -w 40000 -h 40000 c.rat = $HH/pic/circle.pic

will generate a 40Kx40K image.  This appears to be correct (when I
access it as a texture).  So, I'm guessing that you're running into
issues in other parts of the process.

Some image formats store their resolution as 16-bit integers (maximum
resolution of 32767).  Are you storing intermediate results in
temporary files (i.e. .bmp files have a maximum resolution of 32K)?

--
Mark Elendt