[Sidefx-houdini-list] "You can't polish a turd" - was Siggraph & Maya..

Moritz Moeller realritz at virtualritz.com
Wed Aug 19 10:26:04 EDT 2009

On 08/19/2009 01:41 PM, Drew Whitehouse wrote:
> The problem *is* the cross platform support and the myriad codecs each of
> the container formats allow (mov, avi, wmv, mkv etc), and many of them
> proprietry and/or platform specific. Movie formats are also a hornets nest
> of patents. Touch only runs on windows, so they can take advantage of MS's
> DirectShow libs and Apples quicktime libs. I wouldn't be suprised if there
> wasn't more lines of code in the VLC movie player than in the entire houdini
> suite.

There is VLC, the free movie player that plays (almost) anything.
This is OSS. Why not base the COP on the VLC source and make this one
single COP OSS to comply with VLC's license (GPL)?

If done cleverly, the COP code would be just a wrapper around the resp.
bit of VLC that deflates movies. Thus, with VLC getting updated, so
could that COP, no resources at Sesi would be required to deal with
issues that could arise through new(er) codecs.

.mm