[Sidefx-houdini-list] "You can't polish a turd" - was Siggraph & Maya..

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Wed Aug 19 10:08:42 EDT 2009

yeah, I figured the cross platform thing was a tough one. That's why
I was wondering if it was already possible on the Mac or Windows
version. I guess not.

We certainly rely on other composting apps as well that handle movie
import just fine. So it's not a huge priority.
yes, stability would be tops, more speed is nice also.

My thinking was that since most other comp apps can input movies
files ( even if for just rough reference or backgrounds, etc) it
would be a nice convenience.
But yes, agreed ....... if it's a big issue resources are best
focused on other areas.

But just the fact that you can cross reference to other parts of
Houdini (motion channels or whatever) to trigger/drive composite
effects that are in perfects sync with other events, sounds etc.
Something we do quite a bit, is one of the many reasons why it's
still very helpful to have COPs around. It can be a very quick way to
rough out comps and ideas, even if they are ultimately finished in
another compositing app.
Probably more useful in smaller shops than large facilities.

So while I understand there are much more pressing priorities, I'd
hate to see COPs left completely behind ( not that anyone is
suggesting that of course).

Larry