[Sidefx-houdini-list] "You can't polish a turd" - was Siggraph & Maya..

Drew Whitehouse drew.whitehouse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 00:41:13 EDT 2009

The problem *is* the cross platform support and the myriad codecs each of
the container formats allow (mov, avi, wmv, mkv etc), and many of them
proprietry and/or platform specific. Movie formats are also a hornets nest
of patents. Touch only runs on windows, so they can take advantage of MS's
DirectShow libs and Apples quicktime libs. I wouldn't be suprised if there
wasn't more lines of code in the VLC movie player than in the entire houdini
suite.

-Drew

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM, <craigleehoffman at aol.com> wrote:

> There are free utilities written by lone programmers in their spare time
> that support most (maybe all?) of the formats you mention on XP, so my
> feeling is that it isn't that hard.? Generally you don't update the code-
> folks just download new codecs I think.? I could be wrong though- not sure
> how this all?works when coding for multiple Operating Systems.
>

> And all compositing programs I know except for COPs can read a variety of
> standard Movie Formats.? Derivative Inc. supported streaming movie formats
> in real time?in their "Touch" software, which was an offshoot of Houdini.
>
> ?
>
> That being said, I would at least suggest supporting Quicktime since most
> people doing film work or video can supply that much easier than a stream of
> single frames and it seems like a fairly ubiquitous professional format
> across the different OS's.
>

> -Craig

Drew Whitehouse
ANU Supercomputer Facility Vizlab