[Sidefx-houdini-list] "You can't polish a turd" - was Siggraph & Maya..

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Tue Aug 18 10:17:32 EDT 2009

I think this sounds like a pretty reasonable request that makes a lot
of sense.

Personally, we just finished a job where we needed 60+ HD footage
clips mapped onto a bunch of billboard/grids in a 3D environment.

So, we had to first convert all of the movie files to an image
sequence for import into COPs ........ then we could finally
converted those image sequences to .rat sequences for texture maps.
Just one extra step, but across 60 HD clips it adds up.

We're on linux though. I wonder if this can already be done on the
Mac or Windows version by playing the movie through mplay and
exporting directly to .rat sequences.
Is that already doable??

In any event, I do understand the emphasis on dedicating the majority
of resources to the 3D aspects of the package.
But COPs continues to be an extremely useful part of Houdini and a
bit of updating (such as supporting industry standard movies) seems
like it would be worth the effort.

Larry