[Sidefx-houdini-list] "You can't polish a turd" - was Siggraph & Maya..

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 14:37:31 EDT 2009

Anyone remember Softimage v4? It was the only available production
release of Softimage during numerous years while the various owners
developed Sumatra/XSI. Softimage's various owners did everything they
could to add value to the existing package to try and stay
competitive. They even created software bundles that included
compositors - but users were keenly aware that nothing much was
changing in the core application. The bottom line was that they had
reached the end of the line with the fundamental architecture of the
software, and needed to do a total rewrite in order to add new
features that wouldn't break the existing code. In the meantime,
Houdini reached maturity, and early versions of Maya pretty much
cornered the character end of the market that Softimage had dominated
up until then.

I see a similar parallel with Maya now. Adding value by tacking on
external applications in this way suggests the software has reached
the end of the line as a viable platform for future development. As
with Softimage v4, the danger right now for Autodesk is that people
will move to other applications while the existing software is starved
of new features, and/or goes through all the pains that come with
early versions of a total rewrite. So many industry people have
freaked-out about a rumored 3d Max/Maya/XSI merger that big
announcements about "major changes", "mergers" or "rewrites" seems to
be being downplayed or delayed as long as possible. Starting with the
UI replacement next year though, I think we can safely say that a
rewrite is happening covertly, and users of that app should be aware
that the water is slowly, gradually starting to get very hot...

Cheers