[Sidefx-houdini-list] Siggraph & Maya..

Meng-Yang Lu ntmonkey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 08:29:01 EDT 2009

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but don't completely dismiss the new
additions.
A lot of maya places already have an established compositing pipeline
imbedded to where Toxic would make little sense.  My experience has
predominantly been with Shake, and now recently, Nuke, and I'm having a
tough time seeing how Toxic will compete given how well-received Shake/Nuke
has been.

The same could also be said for Matchmover since it was removed from the
market, and users simply adopted other tracking software in it's absence.
 For now now, they're welcomed additions and definitely provide value to the
package, but one has to wonder how will it be supported in the future.

I'm from the Maya/XSI side and we're constantly looking over Houdini at
Mantra as a solid and cost-effective render solution, powerful DOPs toolset,
distributed farm solutions, etc.  If SideFX continues to address the speed
issues then I'm sure Houdini will stay competitive.

-Lu