[Sidefx-houdini-list] Character Animation in Houdini - Channel Editor - Working in Linear

Edward Lam edward at sidefx.com
Mon Aug 10 09:36:38 EDT 2009

Anders Sundstedt wrote:
> I guess what I should have asked really is what type of tangent would
> typically be used in character animation; i.e. how do I know if
> Bezier is the best choice?

You could go with bezier() for maximum flexibility but cubic() is a good
too depending on your animation habits. If the slopes aren't at a
reasonable starting point when converting from linear, then can just
select all the slopes and press 9 to smooth them. Smoothing the slopes
will remove all overshoot in the curves.

>> select all the curves in the Channel Editor and change the linear
>> interpolation to Bezier or something like that. To open the Channel
>>  Editor, right Click over the parameter, click "Channel and
>> Keyframes" and "Scope Parameters".

Another way to do wholesale conversion is to use table mode in the
channel editor.

Cheers,
-Edward