[Sidefx-houdini-list] reading old .hips into H10

David Johnson daveinengland at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:51:33 EDT 2009

I have a lot of old h9 (and h8) hip files that I go back to. I've been
piping opscript stuff out to files, hacking them up, and then putting them
in the right mouse button scripts of the different kinds of objects. Mostly
the problems have been in the deprecation/changing of parameter names to
newly named spare parameters. Like the phantom and matte switches and the
like.
The way I did it was to lay down a new h10 object (or light or
whatever) and opscript it out to a file. Then I edit the file to make
it more generic and to not affect things that I don't want it to
affect. Then put that into the Houdini search path, add a line for it
in the OPmenu file and then I can right click on an old object and
update the layout to the new format.
The main line is the one that has opspareds stuff in it. It's the really
long one at the beginning.

I've found that the contents of the objects were usually fine, just
the layout of the parameters was wonky.

Dave