[Sidefx-houdini-list] Standardized Render Test File?

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 12:58:16 EDT 2009

All the recent talk on hardware and Mac vs. Windows vs. Linux, etc. made me
wonder if anyone had a standardized complex Render Test Hip File that
folks could download and run to compare render speeds across platforms
and hardware?

I think this would help a lot with folks making new purchases like answering questions such as:

Does Quad Core make enough of a difference over Dual Core to warrant upgrading?

Would I benefit from a CPU with Hyperthreading?? (Core i7 vs. the upcoming Core i5, etc.- I read that Maya's renderer was 16% faster when Hyperthreading was enabled on a Core i7!)

Will a SSD or faster Hard Drive make much difference?

Should I bother installing Linux/Windows 7/Snow Leopard?

Such a render test should deal with a good cross-section of complex rendering in Mantra (perhaps with PBR as well as non-PBR ROPs) and also deal with large complex models and test disk access by using large textures on disk, etc.? (Also a good test hip file for Complex Dynamics performance testing might be a good idea too.)

Anyone have such a thing- or does something like this already exist?

-Craig