[Sidefx-houdini-list] Per primitive align using Align SOP

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 05:46:51 EDT 2009

Hi.
My understand is that the Align SOP works great if you use a rest primitive
to modify a lot of primitives in base of another primitive.
For instance,  you have a triangle that you use as a sort of coordinate
system, then a lot of primitives you want to transform. Then you can
transform the rest primitive, the triangle, and pass this transform to all
the other primitives using the Align SOP.
Is like making a simple aligment between simple geo and use it in complex
geo, this is cool and useful in many situations.
But the thing I want is going further, I wanto to be able to make a per
primitive alignment, so I have a rest geometry, with lots of primitives,
then I apply some effect to it, for instance break it using particles. So I
finish having the same geo but with the primitives transformed by the
particles using a PrimitiveSOP.
I want to get in one side the rest geo and in the other the modified geo and
align primitive by primitive  so I can align primitive x in the modified geo
with primitive x in the rest geo, and cos you have a Bias in the Align SOP,
I can control how much of the effect compared to the original geo I want to
apply, or even get a perfect initial state for the geometry and then make a
blending to the deformed geo to get goos breaking effects.
It makes sense???
I don't know if this kind of workflow is possible with the AlignSOP, is one
of this amazing operators in Houdini, really powerful but a little bit hard
to understand how is working.
I am able to use BlendShape to get something different s a workaround, but
will be great to know if it is possible to do it with the AlignSOP. Or are
there any other operator capable of doing it out there???
Thanks

--
Un saludo
Best Regards