[Sidefx-houdini-list] Siggraph vs Fmx

Rob Pieke rob-p at moving-picture.com
Mon Apr 13 14:03:51 EDT 2009

I haven't been to FMX yet, but I'm increasingly interested. Comparing FMX's schedule to my SIGGRAPH experiences, FMX seems to be more heavily driven by "case studies" than SIGGRAPH generally is. As a result, it also looks less technical. Smaller studios seem to have better opportunities at FMX, while gaming studios seem to have roughly equal presence at both conferences.

So maybe FMX is where to go to primarily see TDs present and SIGGRAPH is where to go to primarily see academia present.

Or maybe FMX is where to learn about what just happened and SIGGRAPH is where to lean about what's about to happen next.

Just some possible interpretations :)

Then there are the practical considerations like airfare. It's probably a lot cheaper to get from Montreal to New Orleans than to Stuttgart.