[Sidefx-houdini-list] python as a vex code generator

Steve Gustafson sgustafso at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 08:20:47 EDT 2009

Hey everyone. So, I've decided to waste a little bit of my weekend by
playing around with the idea of using HOM to generate VEX code - and then
wrapping it up in an HDA. Thought I'd go ahead and share my first attempt
here (needs more of a tune-up before going to the Exchange).
I've attached an OTL that does something (mildly) useful with code
generation. It basically gives you SOP-level vex code entry. This VEX code
is wrapped up in an inline vop, within a context where all point and
primitive attributes have been imported and exposed as variables of the same
name as the attributes themselves.
So, it's sort of like having attribute expressions that are compiled down
into VEX code. The key advantages over VOPs: you don't have to setup any
importAttrib vops, any addAttrib vops, *or declare data types* anywhere:
that's all handled by the code generator. So it's a very quick way of
writing simple expressions that modify attributes, while still getting the
perfomance of compiled VEX.

A valid expression could be:

P *= foo + bar; foo = bar + 10;

And so on. I also went ahead and threw in channel referencing, using <>
brackets. I.,e.,

foo = <../some/parm> + <../some/other/parm>;

paramater vops are auto-generated for each path given, and then the path
being referenced is automatically linked onto the parameter of the vopnet.
So it's still vex, but it'll read in animated parameters.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has been trying anything similar...? Any
different approaches? In particular, for anyone that's tried it, have you
had many synchronization issues? I.,e., the code generator not being
triggered by callbacks in a few cases where it should be?
I see a lot of potential uses for code generation, provided that the methods
of hooking everything in are stable and simple enough. One of the reasons
I've always preferred SLIM over shader development in Houdini was
specifically because of SLIM's generative templates - which was pure code
generation. It got ugly sometimes (TCL code...), but you could do anything
with it. For instance, one of my generative slim templates would wrap code
around its inputs, then re-evaluate the inputs many times per shading
sample, while switching between different sets of lights between each
sample. It allowed me to, basically, create full polynomial texture maps in
a single render pass.
Imagine if each VOP node could have an optional Python script that allowed
you completely override the code generation process. RFE?