[Sidefx-houdini-list] Unload and the Null operator

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 05:40:53 EDT 2009

2009/4/6 <jlait at sidefx.com>

> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:00:52PM +0200, Ben Schrijvers wrote:
> > I geuss the Null Sop in unloaded by default and toggle theat Cache Input
> > to ON it will behave as normal sop's and cache.
>
>     Close.  The Null SOP is "instanced" by default, and toggling cache
> input forces it to make a hard copy rather than just instancing.
>    The reason for this is precisely for unloading - if you have a
> whole series of switch SOPs (which all instance) you may grow
> concerned you've set all your data to unload.  So by making a null SOP
> with Unload Off and Cache Input on, you can ensure that becomes a
> manual checkpoint.

So by "instanced " here it means the node pass through all the data and not
cache it as a regular operator.
If this is the case, I am curious, appart from Null and Switch, are there
other SOPs which a re instanced by default?
Also, a instanced node is the same as a node with the unload flag set?
The unload flag is then a way to "instance" any node ina SOP network?
cheers

> --
>        - Jeff Lait

Un saludo