[Sidefx-houdini-list] mantra "clusterThis" procedural geometry DSO - new version available - v1.4.6

Mark Story mstory at xion.org
Mon Apr 6 15:33:07 EDT 2009

> This is delicious, Mark!

:-)

> We used to try clusterThis in production
> shot, but due to limited cvex support we had to abandon this tempting
> idea.
>
> Now it's time to try it again. Thanks for goodies!

Cool.  You should feel free to send feedback, it bakes even more
goodness into the goodies.

> PS Just a side note: cvex support is mostly welcome in such tools
> because gives absolute freedom on what we can do with this dso. For
> example being about to distribute (position) instances with cvex (what
> implies access to instance number to drive noises with it for example)
> is pretty crucial for such pipeline. Not sure how it looks today, but
> this was a problem we previously had. Anyways, thanks again for such
> brilliant tool!

Indeed, the cvex api is very tasty.  I'm still working out a few things.
  For point instancing, "P" does get passed on into the CVEX code,
there's a one to one correspondence with point count and attribute array
size.  For primitive's, P isn't sent (CD, Alpha, N, v, pscale & weight
are) because of the difference in the size of the arrays (a prim can
contain more than one point).  I can't remember what that trouble was
right off hand, but it wasn't working.  Have to think it through next so
I can process every component of the primitives. I'll be working on that
in the next few days, the next release won't be as nearly long wait as
this last one, tons going on!  I have had some issues with the HDK noise
generator so being able to move points/blend attributes in CVEX has been
crucial in my mind for this tool to be flexible enough to what I'm
asking it.  Much more on this front in future versions.

Like I said in the posting, much testing is needed.  The bulk of the
code is implemented, but there's some refinement/refactoring in order
now.  Please send your questions and suggestions.  Beat the hell out of
it and let me know how it goes!

Take care,
Mark