[Sidefx-houdini-list] Unload and the Null operator

jlait at sidefx.com jlait at sidefx.com
Mon Apr 6 14:21:14 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:00:52PM +0200, Ben Schrijvers wrote:
> I geuss the Null Sop in unloaded by default and toggle theat Cache Input
> to ON it will behave as normal sop's and cache.

    Close.  The Null SOP is "instanced" by default, and toggling cache
input forces it to make a hard copy rather than just instancing.
    The reason for this is precisely for unloading - if you have a
whole series of switch SOPs (which all instance) you may grow
concerned you've set all your data to unload.  So by making a null SOP
with Unload Off and Cache Input on, you can ensure that becomes a
manual checkpoint.
--
        - Jeff Lait