[Sidefx-houdini-list] Unload and the Null operator

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 11:56:16 EDT 2009

Hi houdiniks.
Recently I have found myself trying to optimze a tool to mesh particles
systems from fluid simulations.
Well my great problem is that with big sim with millions of particles memory
is a real problem when you have to create the mesh.
I have found the unload flag quite useful to optimize the memory consuption,
and I have follow the next approach:
- Into my HDA doing all the stuff I have set the unload flag for all the
operators, not referecenced by others to avoid "doubles cooks", but the last
Null at the end, this way I can reuse the memory of the other operator but
keep a cache point fo the the rest of the network outside my HDA.
- Here I have seen that the Null operator has a Cache Input parameter, this
means I can d othe same as the unload flag in the Null operator but using
this parameter?
- Also of course I try to put as mush as possible into VOP SOPs to optimize
the whole thing.

Is anybody using the same or similar strategy?
Am I correct with the Null operator cache stuff?

thx

--
Un saludo
Best Regards