[Sidefx-houdini-list] transferring data from points to volumes

Olex P hoknamahn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 06:01:21 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

To transfer an attribute into volume there are several ways. Depends on the
type of the destination.
1. If you want to transfer attributes into a volume primitive in SOPs you
can use Volume VOP with a point cloud filtering functions in the shader
(standard pcfilter() or custom one using pciterate()). And don't forget you
can write into several volumes with one Volume VOP (you have to create a
proper mapping).
2. Using Python SOP and HOM you also could sample values from points and
write them into volume primitive. But last time when I was looking into HOM
methods for doing this I have found that some methods are not implemented.
Hopefully this is changed in H10
3. If you need an i3d texture (which is good because of ability to store
multiple channels and smaller file size) you have to use a shader in i3d
context (same idea with sampling from point cloud) and i3d generator ROP or
standalone i3d generator.
4. And surely HDK. But this simple task doesn't require to use it (unless
you have some troubles with performance).