[Sidefx-houdini-list] transferring data from points to volumes

Steve Gustafson sgustafso at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 21:09:58 EDT 2009

Hey everyone. I'm trying to figure out how to transfer attributes from
points to volumes. Something like the volume_sample VOP, only the reverse of
the process: a smooth, weighted lookup of the value of an attribute for the
particles found within each voxel. Anyone know of any good tricks to do
this?

The only approach I'm seeing atm is to use an expression inside of a
volumemix sop. You could pregenerate a 3d grid of points, each point
centered within the respective voxel, so that this would be a reasonably
cheap process (the smoothing of data would be optimized through normal sop
procedures. I.e., a weighted attribute). But it still requires an expression
to be executed against each voxel, which obviously doesn't make for the best
approach. Ideally, there'd be a way of access the data from within a volume
vop.

Thanks

ps - I'm currently in H9.5