[Sidefx-houdini-list] Point clouds

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Fri Apr 3 09:29:06 EDT 2009

Yep, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, and it's presented as an
example called "pcComp" in the set of examples that Mario linked to
yesterday. Unfortunately, that example doesn't work either.

After a bit of tweaking, I did manage to get it compiling correctly by
putting an inline VOP in front of the pcopen and inserting the VEX:

vector P;
P=vec;

That allowed it to compile, but it didn't seem to work beyond that. I just
ended up with a flat color for the whole image, no matter what I tried to
do with the coordinates. Like you said, this was taking into account that
the point cloud was in 3D and the image is in 2D.

I'd agree, it seems like a strange thing to do to bring the point cloud
into COPs, but I have my reasons. I need to perform some operations on it
in COPs and then trace it back out into SOPs.

Maybe this worked in an earlier version of Houdini, and something's
changed and broken the COP functionality of the pcopen VOP?

Cheers

Andy