[Sidefx-houdini-list] mantra "clusterThis" geometry procedural - new version available - v1.3.3

Mark Story mstory at xion.org
Fri Oct 31 16:08:25 EDT 2008

> Just a few questions on to clarify what the clusterThis tool does. Its main functionality is to create extra instance object around point clouds at render time based on geometry attributes, creating noise based scattering of instances around the instance point?

Yes, that's essentially what it does.

But it will also has the capabilities to set up instancing on a delayed
load object, i.e our instance source object doesn't get written as
instances to the IFD?

Hmmmm .. not sure about this, have to test to see if mantra calls the
delayed load before running the geometry procedural.

Which on heavy counts such as crowd instancing for 100,000 people in a
crowd doesnt create a 100MB ifd as it usually would?

It's intention is to instance "lightweight" geometry primitives to
provide additional detail to the scene.  It's not really intended as a
crowd system but can be easily extended as such which is something I'm
currently doing for another project, forest/foliage procedural.

> I haven't tested this out but looks extremely useful indeed :¬)

Have fun!  More features to come soon.

Mark