[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini or Python question

Ken Ouellette ken.ouellette at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 09:48:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

My suggestion is hacky but it will work, it was done in 8.### not 9.5 so
things might be a bit different.

I was trying to do a similar to obtain the start/end of a sequence of images
on disk. I encountered cooking problems trying to update the filename
parameter a few times on an existing node. The start/length paremeters were
not updating even with a "-C" on the opparm line so I ended up constructing,
via hscript, a composite network from scratch. I created a FileCOP and
feeding it a file input, opparm FileCOP 'foo.\$F.tif', then I could set a
few variables to the start and length ( set startFrame =
`chs("./FileCOP/start")` set lengthFrame = `chs("./FileCOP/length").

Once I had the information I wanted I opcf'd up and out of there and deleted
my temporary network.

I haven't tried running a OS command from a parameter in a while, but just
be aware that last time we found that it was actually being eval'd every
frame so it can be a bit of a slowdown for your network. It maybe more
direct but it might be one of things you don't really want to take a time
hit on.

hope that helps.
-k