[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

Graham D Clark mailgrahamdclark at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 16:35:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Ammon Riley <ammon.riley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Dragos Stefan <ds_list at dsg.ro> wrote:
> > I totally agree about Houdini's help. I don't think however that
> > Softimage's support compares with SESI's. And when it comes to ICE,
> > well, in my opinion it took far too long for them to come out with it,
> > and when they did it showed up there was really no innovation as they
> > just copied what SESI did with VEX/VOPs many years ago.
>
> SoftImage's innovation on ICE is their marketing, just like it was
> when SoftImage
> introduced the "world's first"(*) animation software with non-linear
> animation.

I agree some of their marketing has been wrong, I was the person that
kept harassing soft about not claiming 'the worlds first full compositor
integrated into a 3D application', they've changed it on their WIKI and do
credit Houdini now.
But in terms of innovation soft did have the first *complete* and stable
asset referencing, and first non-linear animation etc *mixer* (trax is still
unstable and my requests for a timeline mixer in Houdini was ignored. XSIs
rendertree low level shading nodes actually did come before similar in
Houdini. etc etc

They are both excellent packages, and Houdini is very unique. Like Lu said,
just use them all if you like them. I use XSI and Houdini primarily, and ICE
actually makes bridging them easier.
As Houdini looks more like Maya I find it less appealing, but I did like the
XSI like tree view added (copied if you want to term it that way) to
Houdini, but I can still feel like Im back in 4.1 by rearranging the
interface and just connecting nodes manually.

I was hoping for a soft - sidefx merger for years, they seemed complimentary
in their strengths, and ICE would not have been needed, but now instead
Autodesk takes over.

Hmm... lots to consider now when I build the next studio.
--
Graham D Clark, VFX/CG Supervisor, telephone: fad-take-two,
Warner Brothers, 4000 Warner Blvd. Bldg 38 North, Room 218 Burbank, CA 91522