[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

Ivan DeWolf ivan at martian-labs.com
Sun Oct 26 14:39:03 EDT 2008

yes, I've seen this for several years; I think it's a left-over survival
instinct. For several years, using Houdini would make you a pariah at virtually
any facility. Producers HATED it and were constantly trying to find ways to
remove this expensive, difficult to staff software from their pipelines; Maya
artists had taken over the center of every pipeline, and despised these damn
houdini guys and their software that could actually do things theirs couldn't.
For a while there, I felt like I was going obsolete. Fortunateley, SESI changed
their tack a bit, lowered the price, got friendlier to the smaller shops,
etc... and now Houdini is simply another package to most producers and
artists.
Those of us that weathered this still have the feeling that we are fighting for
survival, although this is no longer true.

Oddly enough, I am not too concerned about autodesk creeping towards a monopoly.
In the past 5 years, the acceptance of non-Maya solutions in the pipeline has
exploded. Producers and managers are far more willing to accept a
non-homogenous 3d environment, allowing their modellers to use z-brush,
animators to use Lightwave, FX guys to use a mix of max, maya, houdini or
whatever damn thing the artist wants. the culture has changed, us houdini guys
are no longer the pariahs that we once were, we are now welcome at the table.
some of us just haven't realized it yet.

Quoting Soren kurgan Jacobsen <kurgan at kurgan.dk>:

> Im not trying to offend anyone, but it seems some of the comments that
> pop up are a bit elitist, implying that all the people using maya, max
> softimage etc... all but houdini users are clueless, or the victims of
> bad marketing...
>

> Moritz Moeller wrote:
> > Dragos Stefan wrote:
> >
> >> To put it in another way, what do you think would have happened if SESI
> >> had the marketing budget and the financial backing of Softimage when
> >> they invented VEX & VOPs, many years ago (at that time XSI wasn't even a
> >> product)?
> >>

> > /Very/ well put. But here are few people in decision-making positions in
> > this industry to realize this. If there were more, even Maya would be
> > history by now, I'd think.
> >
> > .mm
> 9:27 AM

-Ivan