[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

James Rutherford JRutherford at stclaircollege.ca
Sun Oct 26 13:41:34 EDT 2008

I think this is quite good news for SideFx....Softimage's Ice ice is cool but in a way I think it actually makes people take another look at Houdini...unless I'm heavily invested in Softimage, when I hear that one product has done it's best to copy another, I'm going take a serious look at the original.
Maya isn't exactly getting a huge push by Autodesk...in fact at the school, we were offered Max basically for free in our lab to replace Maya....we actually just got Maya 2009 on Friday which I think is pretty lame considering the product was launched at Siggraph....and Nparticles isn't what they promised two years ago...I can't imagine them putting any push on Softimage...
Times have changed...3D software isn't exactly a huge revenue producer, if it ever was....$30 million for Softimage...and $50 million for Alias shows these products aren't exactly bringing in gobs of cash....it only makes good business sense that Autodesk will consolidate these softwares into one as soon as they can...  Sidefx has always kept to their niche and never tried to take over the world and it seems to working okay for them...knock on wood..
JIm