[Sidefx-houdini-list] basic instancing question

jon parker parker.jon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 16:55:10 EDT 2008

Thanks for the repsonse...
A colleague also tipped me to using displacement mapping to add detail
to volumes, and it works really well.  For general volumetric
rendering I'm in agreement with all of the things below.  With what I
have been tasked with, there is a large scale difference in the nebula
as a whole, versus the details we're trying to show... there are a
large number of tiny 'knots' in the nebula that need to be in the
right place according to some astronomical observation data I've been
given.  My first attempt was to birth metaballs from the right
locations and render them volumetrically, embedded within the rest of
the gas volume.  But the shading quality of metaballs doesn't seem to
be as nice as I hoped.  In fact I ran a test where I converted them to
a massive image3d texture, and the shading quality was much nicer, but
generating it took forever and that really hinders that technique for
testing.  So my latest idea is to use a lot of knot-shaped volume
instances, and displace them in world space to add variety, but they
seem to be displaced before they are instanced, and not afterwards
like I hoped.  Any other suggestions towards creating them this way?
--jon