[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

Meng-Yang Lu ntmonkey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 13:20:26 EDT 2008

Andy, you're my hero!
It is true.  XSI users aren't trying to one-up Houdini.  The users have a
much loftier goal, and that's to get out to the pub.  ICE fills in a huge
gap that's been missing for us, and we're just starting to see what it can
do.  Many of us did fire up Houdini if we had access to it to supplement FX
work because XSI's particles were so bad.

However, ICE is serious business.  It's already fast, and there's a huge
shift of moving more stuff into that architecture.  Speed is sexy, and it's
attracting a lot of TDs and Devs to push it to it's limits.  So far, it's
taking the abuse quite well.

As for flexibility, it doesn't wire into everything in XSI yet, but who says
EVERYTHING has to be procedural?  Particles, points, and kinematics are
already getting a boost from it, so life is good.  Best part is that XSI
still feels like XSI and nothing like Houdini (ICE's interface feels
familiar to XSI's native rendertree), whereas Houdini now feels like Maya
and Firefox (I like the old houdini).

There's nothing shameful about using multiple apps and loving various bits
from each.  It's like having multiple girlfriends, each to suit your fancy
depending on how you feel.  Unlike girlfriends, software is quite alright
with that.

See ya at the pubs,

-Lu

Meng Yang Lu