[Sidefx-houdini-list] basic instancing question

Remba, David (Space Technology) David.Remba at ngc.com
Fri Oct 24 13:10:52 EDT 2008

I've been working on clouds, and had good results
using simple geometry (spheres, boxed shapes) then
subdividing to round the shapes, then iso-offset to
create a low density volume (20x20x20).

The good stuff happens in a custom material:

1. displacement VOP SHOP uses various noise functions
to push P around (for clouds: only in the up +Y direction
to simulate convection, and using an abs() to make it
puffy looking).  For nebula I would try the built-in
aanoise VOP.

2. surface VOP SHOP based from the VEX Volumecloud shader,
and added extra features for clouds to cut off and
darken the bottom.  Higher density makes the gas more
chunky looking, lower values make it more wispy looking
(good for nebulas).

tips:

Very important to adjust the Volume Step size to as large
a value as possible (just below the noticeable speckle artifact).

For fast rendering: try only one or two lights; if you need
more, do multiple render passes and comp them.  Use Ray Trace
Engine, lower opacity limit to 0.9 if the nebula/clouds are
chunky.

For nebula you might try some glow effects (see the emit
in the VEX Super Material shader).

p.s. For nebulas, you might try separating very far objects
which are more of a 2D problem, from closer 3D objects.

p.p.s. I work at a space technology company so I might get
to work on nebulas soon also!  I'd like to hear you things
go for you.  My email:  daveremba at yahoo.com

I hope this helps,

Dave

David Remba