[Sidefx-houdini-list] Killing cached sim particles

Ben Schrijvers ben.schrijvers at guerrilla-games.com
Fri Oct 24 08:39:42 EDT 2008

Hi Andy,

That's a tricky thing. The easiest is to do it at simulation time as you
might expect.

In a cached situation you're best of in SOP's.
The tricky bit is that the Delete or Blast Sop only know about point
numbers but the point numbers of your particle system are probably changing.
What's not changing is the particle ID attribute. So you could use an
expression in the Delete Sop to delete the points in question.
Something like:
$ID==19338 || $ID==2403 || $ID==1653 || $ID==8328 || $ID==3278

If it's a lot of particles that need to be deleted you might have to run
through the whole sequence and find all to be deleted points.
Somehow you have to get those ID's into a text file. Then make some
scripts that removes the doubles occurances and builds you the string
you need for the Delete Sop.
I've actually see people doing that in the past.

succes,
benS