[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

Dragos Stefan ds_list at dsg.ro
Fri Oct 24 06:13:13 EDT 2008

I totally agree about Houdini's help. I don't think however that
Softimage's support compares with SESI's. And when it comes to ICE,
well, in my opinion it took far too long for them to come out with it,
and when they did it showed up there was really no innovation as they
just copied what SESI did with VEX/VOPs many years ago.

As a side note, I always wondered how viable Softimage was as a business
in all these years. I mean how well would they have done in the
marketplace without the money backing of some giant like Microsoft or Avid.
Microsoft bought them in '94 for 130 million USD. Avid bought them 4
years later for 285 million. Avid sells them 10 years later for 35
million ?? (OK, only the 3D part, without DS). Microsoft seems to be the
only one who made money from this.
It's very sad to see them dissapear and XSI passed in the hands of
Autodesk, but on the other hand it's not very surprising. I was
wondering many times last year about when will Avid decide to get rid of
them, but I was actually hoping they would spin off as an independent
company. But I suppose Avid needs money right now so from a business POV
it made a lot more sense to sell Softimage. Too bad it had to be Autodesk.

Dragos