[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Fri Oct 24 05:20:51 EDT 2008

> Houdini is designed with a "user needs" point of view whereas the other
> looks to me now as a shareholder profit pov.

Hmm, I can't agree with that. As someone who's used XSI for quite a few
years, I've got to say that the support offered by Softimage has always
been second to none. They've always been extremely focussed on providing
amazing new features for the artists to exploit (just look at ICE - that
came about because everyone was always complaining that the particle
system sucked).

In contrast, I've been whining about the Houdini help system for at least
a year now, and I've not seen an improvement. Don't get me wrong, I think
Houdini's great, but I just think you're slightly overstating your case.

You're right though, Houdini has got a great niche at the moment in terms
of what you can do in it. Lets hope it leads them on to bigger and better
things.

Andy