[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

Abdelkareem Abonamous anamous at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 04:28:46 EDT 2008

For a lot of small companies, part of the business decision of what
software packages you build your pipeline around is the question of
how the company that produces these packages deals with you, as in
support and general business policies. Some of these small companies
feel that a certain behemoth doesn't actually care for their bug
findings, or their RFEs, or their production worries - essentially
only contacting them to remind them to upgrade to a new version that
often doesn't incorporate anything *really* useful.

This is where I see SESI. Their business culture and mentality are a
large part of what makes Houdini so special. I can't see anything
anywhere like this level of support or care for even the smallest
customers at any other 3d software company, specifically not at
aforementioned behemoth.

So basically I think that this is a great chance for SESI - the market
has opened up a bit for them. Decision makers will be looking at
alternatives, and Houdini is arguably top notch, regardless of the
industry.

And thank God that SESI is privately owned.

cheers,
Abdelkareem