[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:22:47 EDT 2008

Well I remember lots of speculation when Autodesk bought Maya (end of
Houdini!) and then Autodesk bought 3DS (end of Houdini!) and now XSI,
yet Houdini is still here and the user base is growing!

Remember that Soft had problems getting XSI out to market and handed
the whole market to Alias (at the time) and that could well happen
here if their next-gen app takes forever to come out.

Personally, to me, it means very little other than some sadness for
the Softimage employees that will be laid off, not the programmers,
but lots of others.

A lot of FX companies are afraid of behemoth monopolies and I bet will
invest in Houdini (since there is nothing else!) as safety as well.

Cheers,

Peter B