[Sidefx-houdini-list] Autodesk bought Softimage

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:10:34 EDT 2008

Sad but truth.
I think that the thing that autodesk is going to sell is a complete pipeline
of tools that work well together and then say to studios ok you can save
money because is easy to find artists for our tools we own the whole
pipeline so our tools talk together perfectly.
So I think that SESI will ensure for the future a perfecto connectivity with
Autodesk tools and then learn to coexist cos the 3D big brother is there and
you can't beat him but you can try to live with him.
Anyway for Houdini is a challenge because now you have to justify the
investement in the tool with more arguments:
- How are you going to deal with the interconectivity (that means that the
support for FBX should be as good as possible for example to be able to
coexist)
- How are you gong to growth you user base? Now autodesk owns al the tools
that 99% of the schools/universities taugh, definitely a challenge for the
future.

Long life houdiniks .....

2008/10/23 James Rutherford <JRutherford at stclaircollege.ca>

> Yikes
> I wonder if this is good or bad for Houdini...

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez