[Sidefx-houdini-list] RenderMan Camera Issue

Alan Warren bluemoonshine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 20:04:19 EDT 2008

Focal length is a bit confusing for me.  The focal slider on your camera
also affects the outcome of your FOV values as well it's own.  Sometimes
when you're trying to fine tune DOF you need to be able to set the focal
length to high values without it affecting your FOV.  You can certainly do
this by hand editing your RIB, but I don't know how you'd do it from inside
Houdini without resorting to includes.

Try setting the focal length units to inches first.  50 inches converts to
1.27 focal length in RIB, which certainly gives better results then the
default 0.05 that milimeters converts to.

Otherwise, I usually resort to a World Pre-Include for the DepthOfField
call.  Focal length is easier to tune that way.