[Sidefx-houdini-list] Split POP confusion

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Wed Oct 22 15:07:39 EDT 2008

Thanks for the replys. Larry, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It
would seem that the way things are set up, a split node can never split
particles that it generated (since by definition they can never be fed
into the Split's input connection).

Wow, that totally sucks. It basically means that you can't do any sort of
recursive spawning of particles without putting down a separate Split node
and copying the tree for every level of recursion. Surely this should be
bread and butter for a decent particle system? I'm amazed that Houdini
can't do it!

As a workaround, I think the only way I can do this will be to do it all
in SOPs and use a SOP solver. Not ideal, but as far as I can see it should
work.

Cheers