[Sidefx-houdini-list] Split POP confusion

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Wed Oct 22 10:47:40 EDT 2008

I'm probably not completely understand all of the details.

But as I understand it when you append a split it is connected with a
dotted line indicating that it is now a separate particle system
( not affected by forces upstream)

So, it seems that you would have to keep appending split POPs off of
each other and somehow using a combination of source groups and birth
groups to have downstream
splits sourcing the appropriate generation of split particles to
split from.

I assume all of these N splits would them be pumped into a collect
POP ........ then all of the forces etc would be appended below the
collect POP to affect all generations of splits the same.

Man, I got dizzy just typing that .......... but it's my best guess
assuming I understand the problem correctly.

Larry

--
Larry Giunta
Creative Director
larry at gcreativestudios.com
www.gcreativestudios.com

On Oct 22, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Andy Nicholas wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. You're right, if it was just a case of
> getting
> it all to be affected by those nodes, I could probably rejig the
> order and
> it'd work. One thing I neglected to mention though is that I need the
> newly split particles to also be able to split themselves under the
> appropriate conditions.
>
> The only work around it would seem, is that I'd have to copy and
> paste the
> whole POP network N times after each Split POP, where N is the maximum
> number of generations of bubbles. Not exactly a great workflow :-)
>
> I just need the particles to be treated as normal particles, and
> not as if
> they're totally separate, as they need to go back through the same
> tree
> (i.e. with the split POP). The Collect POP doesn't seem to have any
> affect
> on any of this.
>
> So is there really no way I can just tell these new split particles
> that
> they're exactly the same as the other particles? Do any of the lineage
> type of attributes have any effect on this? How is Houdini keeping
> track
> of which particles are which?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy
>

>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Andy Nicholas
>> <andy at andynicholas.com>wrote:
>>

>>> The problem is that all the particles that are created by the
>>> Split node
>>> in my POP network don't seem to get fed back into the main
>>> simulation.
>>> I.e. they don't experience the force, or pick up the color
>>> attribute.