[Sidefx-houdini-list] Disabling shaders in viewport

rmagee at sidefx.com rmagee at sidefx.com
Sun Oct 19 00:56:36 EDT 2008

There is no way to simply "turn off" shader assignments from the viewports
point of view. Sounds like a good idea that would go well with the
spotlight feature.

One way to accomplish a similar thing is to use Takes. Create a new Take,
select all your objects and then go to the Material tab. RMB-click on the
Material parameter and select "Include Selected in Take." Now select the
material path and delete it. Now all material assignments are gone for all
objects for this take. If you delete this take then you go back to your
old shader assignments.

If your goal is to work with other nodes (lights for instance) while the
shaders are disabled then add another Take for making these changes and
use Auto-take to accept the changes. Later you can remove the "no
material" take and collapse the second take back down if you want to
consolidate the results.

Robert