[Sidefx-houdini-list] cloth sim possibilities

David Johnson daveinengland at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:57:54 EDT 2008

First of all, you should be using hfs9.5.240 or greater. They have done a
lot of work on cloth in that build.

After that, the Cloth Thickness needs to be significantly smaller than the
distance between any of the points in your starting geometry, or it will
start in a self intersected mode.

Next check that your damping is set well. I have been using it at about 1%
of the stiffness value, but YMMV.

If you are using drag to get the "floating in the air" effect, you need to
play with the mass of the points. Lower mass is affected by drag more than
higher mass. Also be aware that drag is sensitive to the normal of the poly
that it is affecting. There is less drag on the points if the poly is moving
tangent to it's normal.

On your ground plane, set the bounce to be 0, since sheets don't really
bounce much, and you can play with the friction too.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Dave