[Sidefx-houdini-list] Onion skinning

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Sun Nov 30 19:09:44 EST 2008

Oodini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am reading the Craig Zerouni's book (Houdini on the Spot), and tried
> the tip "Onion-skinning" (page 7).
>
> When I switch to an other application and come back to Houdini, the
> viewport displays a mix between the previous applications and the
> viewport display.
> Should it be considered as a normal behaviour considering the OpenGL
> setting, or is it a bug ?

The onion-skinning is a simple open GL hack, where it doesn't totally
clear the viewport before drawing the new contents on. So when your
viewport is occluded by another application, it doesn't get cleared.
It's just how it works... Very simple.

If you need to be able to jump to other apps and see your onion skin
trails try using the trail sop instead. Obviously, no where near as
light weight or convenient, it's not in screen space.. and all sorts of
stuff.. but it's an alternative.

Cheers
r.