[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

Nicholas Pliatsikas nick_p102 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 09:48:16 EST 2008

I also dont see the hate/ big problems that people have with shelfs. From what i have seen the shelfin houdini is much more flexible then with mayas, due to the combination of using houdinis great digital assets with custom python code, that can easliy have access to certain data to change the way the tools work. Maybe there needs to be more expansion on the python tools modules. But its works as I expected, with the standard houdini python modules giving you access to do what ever you need, using custom gallery based networks, digital assets and nodes hooked up anyway you need with a single button press.

Of course you can improve on it, just like everything else. For me I would like to see closer intergration on shelfs that act like the tab menu with digitals assets. I.e on digital assets you have tools options to define that this digital asset will appear in the tab menu subfolder. This could also create a shelf with the same subfolder and script tied to the digital asset its self to define how it acts as an asset, or specifically on the shelf. This system does pull up other problems but it would create a tighter relationship between digital assets and shelfs by default. You can have custom shelfs that save to shelf file, and Digital asset shelfs created on the fly, or appended on the fly to existing shelfs that never get saved to a spefic shelf.

But im not saying that shelfs are useless due not having this, as thats far from the case. Especaily when they currently shelf tools tie into the tab menu, so you dont even need the shelfs apart using it as a method of stroing tool sets.

Cheers
Nick