[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 20:33:52 EST 2008

Is impossible to deliver the amount of stuff that nowdays is demanded in
film, with the tight deathlines, if the process is complex and slow.
Tools should be easy at certain levels and of course these veterans, or not
so veteran I prefer to say smarter,  are usually who develop the tool, but
after this the process should be as easier and straighforward as possible.
This is the reason because you have juniors, seniors, leads, etc ....

2008/11/17, Peter Robbinson <probbins at sympatico.ca>:

> Counter-intuitive as it may be it is only the experienced, veteran
> production artist that can determine if an easy method is indeed
> appropriate.
>
> PeterR
>

> Pablo Giménez wrote:
> > Of course at certain levels the application for some users that just need
> > use custom tools is not so important.
> > But tell this to the TDs.
> > If things can be easy do it easy, if people at certain level don't need
> > know all the gory details of the asset, simply apply it learn how to use
> it
> > and deliver shots, why to make things more complicated, is not a matter
> of
> > being more or less like maya, is a metter to provide an easy access to
> > things that should being easy and fast.
> > Snd sorry, MEL scripts integration in Maya is very far from how tools are
> > integrated in Houdini, in Houdini they really integrate in the whole tool
> in
> > Maya is like a chaos of code snippets scattered across all the pipeline.
> > The only thing in my opnion that needs shelf scrips is to be saved in
> OTLs
> > as other assets, I think they are assets by themselves, and not to be in
> > different file. This will simplify a lot the process of manteining
> shelves
> > and alse allows to have custom operators and their correspondng shelf
> > scripts in the same location (ok you can do it now if the script is
> defined
> > in the operator, but not if the script is independent of any operator, I
> > think).
> >
> > 2008/11/17, Gene Dreitser <keyframe at rogers.com>:
> >
> >> I hear what you are saying -- that said, I'd argue that the reason this
> >> works is because the pipeline scripts themselves are well thought out,
> >> rather then their specific binding to a GUI control.  The reason it's
> sleek
> >> and sexy is certainly not because of the shelf -- it's just a place to
> store
> >> things after all, right?
> >>
> >> Bear in mind that these tools have been designed specifically for your
> >> company's workflow -- therefore they work.  If, however, you attempted
> >> pick up someone else's 'smart tools' -- do you feel that they would
> function
> >> just as well within your given contraints/pipeline?  My guess is, not so
> >> much -- not beyond a trivial level anyway.
> >> The Million or so assorted MEL scripts presently scattered all over the
> the
> >> internet is strong evidence to suggest that perhaps these flashes of
> >> brilliance aren't as transportable as they sounds in principal.
> >>
> >> There is no question that having similar looking buttons in one app and
> >> another will make users feel more comfortable migrating, but that's not
> >> feature, is it?  More to the point, if the pipeline is so well thought
> out,
> [...]

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez