[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 20:07:39 EST 2008

Of course at certain levels the application for some users that just need to
use custom tools is not so important.
But tell this to the TDs.
If things can be easy do it easy, if people at certain level don't need to
know all the gory details of the asset, simply apply it learn how to use it
and deliver shots, why to make things more complicated, is not a matter of
being more or less like maya, is a metter to provide an easy access to
things that should being easy and fast.
Snd sorry, MEL scripts integration in Maya is very far from how tools are
integrated in Houdini, in Houdini they really integrate in the whole tool in
Maya is like a chaos of code snippets scattered across all the pipeline.
The only thing in my opnion that needs shelf scrips is to be saved in OTLs
as other assets, I think they are assets by themselves, and not to be in a
different file. This will simplify a lot the process of manteining shelves
and alse allows to have custom operators and their correspondng shelf
scripts in the same location (ok you can do it now if the script is defined
in the operator, but not if the script is independent of any operator, I
think).

2008/11/17, Gene Dreitser <keyframe at rogers.com>:

> I hear what you are saying -- that said, I'd argue that the reason this
> works is because the pipeline scripts themselves are well thought out,
> rather then their specific binding to a GUI control.  The reason it's sleek
> and sexy is certainly not because of the shelf -- it's just a place to store
> things after all, right?
>
> Bear in mind that these tools have been designed specifically for your
> company's workflow -- therefore they work.  If, however, you attempted to
> pick up someone else's 'smart tools' -- do you feel that they would function
> just as well within your given contraints/pipeline?  My guess is, not so
> much -- not beyond a trivial level anyway.
> The Million or so assorted MEL scripts presently scattered all over the the
> internet is strong evidence to suggest that perhaps these flashes of
> brilliance aren't as transportable as they sounds in principal.
>
> There is no question that having similar looking buttons in one app and
> another will make users feel more comfortable migrating, but that's not a
> feature, is it?  More to the point, if the pipeline is so well thought out,
> and completely abstracts the user from the apps, why should anyone care what
> app they are using?  at that stage, they are users of your custom tools more
> so then Houdini, or Maya...

> ________________________________
> From: Andrew D Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com>
>

> Speaking from the perspective of someone working at a large studio
> that was originally Maya - but then went Houdini - shelves, and the UI
> overhaul in general seem to have helped to bridge the transition for
> new users with next-to-no Houdini experience. Our whole pipeline is
> written in Python, and all our interfaces to that pipeline have
> manifested as shelf buttons. Like many big studios, we have a paradigm
> where expert TD's make shrink-wrapped tools for novice artists to use
> in mass production. For that shelves are perfect. We have a very
> similar configuration of shelf buttons in both Maya and Houdini.
> That's kind of cool for new users.
>
> Cheers

Un saludo
Best Regards