[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 13:04:08 EST 2008

Speaking from the perspective of someone working at a large studio
that was originally Maya - but then went Houdini - shelves, and the UI
overhaul in general seem to have helped to bridge the transition for
new users with next-to-no Houdini experience. Our whole pipeline is
written in Python, and all our interfaces to that pipeline have
manifested as shelf buttons. Like many big studios, we have a paradigm
where expert TD's make shrink-wrapped tools for novice artists to use
in mass production. For that shelves are perfect. We have a very
similar configuration of shelf buttons in both Maya and Houdini.
That's kind of cool for new users.

Cheers