[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 09:59:24 EST 2008

Man you how complete automation is useful even in high end production?
If you have an effect that is going to be applied to many shots, having a
shelf that can smartly apply it to you scene is really really useful.
And the idea is not lose control is ease of use in some situations.
I love to make my poligonal cube with click in the shelf rather than
creating a geometry object go into and create a box sop.
We use Houdini for total control but I think that if you can save some
clicks and makes thing smooth in some situations even the most die hard user
is going to be happy.
The good point in Houdini is due it's design and with the new python stuff
you can make things really easy without losing control, isn't it really
good?

2008/11/16, Gene Dreitser <keyframe at rogers.com>:

> In the spirit of total control, isn't that why we are all using Houdini in
> the first place?
>
> There are certainly tools out there that do a great job abstracting all
> this information from the user -- frankly, I don't see what is so attractive
> about watering down the strengths of each platform by 'cross breeding'
> technologies like this.
>
> Isn't that kind of like asking an auto maker that specializes in giant SUVs
> (Say, errr, Hummer), to make a small economy sedan (errrr, Prius).  You'll
> get SOMETHING -- but you probably won't like it.
>
> I've always thought that focusing on your strengths, and what sets you
> apart from your competitors was the way forward -- instead of a 'me too'
> feature set.

> ps: My shelf has been on perma-stow since it first become available.

> From: Pablo Giménez <pablogipi at gmail.com>
>

> In the viewport you ned to be fluent and python can assist on this, if you
> need total control and you don't need thid interactivity work from the
> network editor.

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez